Why Choose Natural and Organic Fragrance?
Published on 24/11/2015
reast Cancer Awareness Month is upon us, and so our attention will be focused on the potential chemical nasties in deodorants, such as aluminium and parabens. What we often don’t think about is the hidden dangers of synthetic chemicals in our colognes, eau de toilettes and perfumes.
There are several ingredients commonly used in mainstream chemical fragrance products which can have a damaging effect on our bodies. Here are the five foul ingredients we would never let appear in a fragrance on the Millabaci website:
1) Petrochemicals and their derivatives - around 95% of synthetic fragrances on the market are derived from petrochemicals. With companies keeping formulations so close guarded, and not being forced to list their full ingredients, it is difficult to know exactly what is in a synthetic fragrance product. The word “parfum” or “fragrance” in the ingredients list can mean a whole host of things! There is a self-governing body called IFRA which sets the standard for safety in fragrance, but this is not enforced by law! The main issue with petrochemicals and their derivatives in fragrance is that they are classed as likely carcinogens, are hormone disruptors and are also bio-accumulative in the body.
2) Allergens - it is believed around 1 in 50 people suffer from weakened immune systems due to chemical allergens found in fragrances, and they may cause asthma in some cases. Dioxins and Formaldehyde are two bi-products of synthetic fragrance production, two toxins harmful to both the environment and us, and the use of the end produced fragrance in a fragrance may lead to either the chemical being a donor of these two ingredients and/or contamination.
3) Di-ethyl phthalate (DEP), Di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP) and Benzyl butyl phthalate - phthalates are suspected carcinogens and known hormone disruptors. The size of the phthalate molecule is small enough in size to enter the body when applied to the skin. They are also absorbed into the body through inhalation. If “parfum” or “fragrance” is written in the ingredients list, the product may contain phthalates. Di-ethyl phthalate should be avoided by pregnant women in particular, as it has been linked to developmental abnormalities in foetuses and learning difficulties later in life.
4) Propylene Glycol - a preservative and penetration enhancer, propylene glycol may help other bad chemicals enter your body through the skin. It’s bio-accumulative, and may cause toxicity in the liver, kidneys, intestines and heart.
5) Synthetic Musks - ingredients such as Galaxolide and Tonalide are endocrine disruptors and also toxic to the environment. Synthetic musks are bio-accumulative in marine life and enter the food chain at this level.
Millabaci offer a range of long-lasting fragrances for men and women, Eau Ecolo by Green Energy Organics. These products offer a safe alternative to mainstream chemical-laden fragrances, and free from all of the above ingredients.