Why Choose Natural & Organic Products When Caring for Baby?

Published on 05/01/2016


When women reach pregnancy and motherhood, it’s often the time when they begin to think about what they are putting both in and on their bodies. It’s usually the time in life when they who make a switch to natural and organic products, or so we hope! There are a whole host of scary chemical nasties in beauty products, and sadly in many products for babies too.

Sadly, beauty and personal care products need only contain 1% natural ingredients to be able to call themselves “natural”. Which leaves the other 99% to be made up of who knows what man-made chemicals. It is believed that the inclusion of such chemicals in products is contributing to the rise in allergies such as asthma and eczema.

We believe in products for all, babies included, being as natural and organic, yet efficacious, as possible. These are some ingredients commonly found in baby products that we urge you to avoid at all costs -

  1. Artificial colours - some are carcinogenic, some contain heavy metals and some are allergens! Thankfully, there is a Colour Index (CI) for these ingredients, and as a rule of thumb the ones to avoid all have a number lower than CI 75000. Everything above this number is a mineral or plant based colourant.

  2. Artificial preservatives - one of the main causes of allergic reactions and skin irritation. Some are also known to be formaldehyde donors, such as urea, and quartenium-15 which means that over time they release small amounts of formaldehyde into the product. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen and toxic to the nervous system. Other preservatives, such as parabens, can cause allergic reactions, and may also be carcinogenic.

  3. Fragrance - also causes allergic reactions and irritation. The word “fragrance” or “parfum” could be hiding some very nasty chemicals in the product, including phthalates, a known hormone disruptor.

  4. Diethanolamine and Triethanolamine - react with nitrites (which are not always listed in the ingredients list) in a product to form nitrosamines, which are known carcinogens.

  5. Sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate (SLS/SLES) - a surfactant which gives formulas their lathering qualities, this chemical is a skin irritant.

  6. Talc - commonly used on babies, this product has been linked to ovarian cancer.

 

Bebe Bio from Green Energy Organics offers a safe, certified organic range of baby products, with a truly innovative product - Baby Powder in a Compact! There are two talc-free options available; one for sensitive skin, and another to address redness of the skin.

COMMENTS

No customer comments for the moment.

Only registered users can post a new comment.